vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


01 August 2015

Statler

The Statler Hotels were founded by E. M. Statler, with the first one being built in Buffalo, New York (the first major hotel with running water and a private bath in every room). This card shows the second Hotel Statler that was built in 1923 and closed in 1984 although the ballrooms remained in use for catered events. It became the Statler Hilton in 1954 and some of the hotel rooms converted to offices by 1948 by the time WBEN Channel 4 had their television studios on the 18th floor. I seem to remember staying here as a child in the mid 60's and being excited that we were so close to the Saturday Night Dance Party that was still televised from the ballroom.  A failed renovation left the building abandonned and into bankruptcy and it might have been doomed for demolision had not a private developer took over in 2011 and it is now known as Statler City, a 'premier' wedding and event destination. 

an hotel illustration for Sepia Saturday

10 comments:

Postcardy said...

Hotels always seem to look more attractive in illustrations than they do in photos.

La Nightingail said...

I'm glad the old impressive hotel building was spared & has been put to good use still. It's sad to watch the demise of attractive old buildings.

Alex Daw said...

What a beautiful post and postcard. I hadn't heard of Statler Hotels before so thank you for sharing. And the Saturday Night Dance Party sounds fun - I would have been excited too.

Jofeath said...

A very appropriate postcard. I checked out Statler City, and see they have 4 different ballrooms that look very lavish, but what do they do with all the other rooms? Guest accommodation doesn't seem to be mentioned.

violet s said...

I have no idea - spent a long time trying to find out with no success. I may need to stop in the next time I'm in Buffalo!

21 Wits said...

This is quite the beautiful building! As a postcard even better.

Barbara said...

I’m beginning to get a real fondness for postcards depicting old buildings. They are not something I usually collect but I think I will have to change that.

Alan Burnett said...

I really is a fabulous building, thank goodness it seems to have been saved. The name "Statler" was washing around in my subconscious somewhere, vaguely associated with luxury hotels. thanks for pinning it down.

Joan said...

Great postcard. the Statler looks so regal. I think that's how I would like to remember it.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a great building and I'm so glad it's been given a new purpose. I danced in the Starlight ballroom at the Statler in St. Louis when a teen in the 50s. It was definitely a uptown place!